Monday, June 18, 2012

Lost?


A few days ago, an elderly man accompanied me on a part of my usual walk to the servis station. He spoke a good amount of English and was eager to practice with me. As we passed by a wall plastered with glue and posters with the edges peeling, he stopped and pointed to the faces on the posters. He said, “This man went to Israel,” and then he made a motion with his hands that resembled Superman pulling apart his shirt to reveal the S hidden underneath.

I didn’t say much after that.

Ever since then, the eyes of the martyrs have weighed down on me. They are at the grocery store, restaurants, alleys, malls, etc. A majority of them look about my age. These young men with their whole lives ahead of them, and they feel that this extreme is the only answer.

I cannot imagine.

No more than 25 years old, thinking that you've gone through every other possible solution there is out there, only to end up at the option of committing suicide and killing civilians in the process.

In the end, the Israeli settlers use their actions as a reason to further repress the Palestinians.

Then the cycle starts, again.

No comments:

Post a Comment