Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Lean On Me

My sister, Momo, has gone to Cancun for a wedding for a few days and I still have five days until hermanito, Nestor, moves in. I have the house to myself during the day, and there is so much to think about and get done.

For the people that have known me for a while, most of you are questioning how long I've had a brother. I am going to take a moment to clarify this.

I have a younger brother and his name is Nestor. He is four months younger than me and he has been part of the family for about a year now. He is the main reason that I believe everything happens for a reason. Call it destiny, the Grace of God, coincidence, whatever... He came to us and that is all that matters. Since then, he has never missed a family event and he is always there when we need him, whether we ask or not. He doesn't talk much, but him being there is so much more than words can express.

Mama yells at him whenever it's cold and he doesn't wear a jacket, he is protective of me and Momo, and Baba forces him to help carry his camera bags and tripods (as all Hakim children are expected to do). I really think Nestor is beginning to understand what family is all about. I am glad I found him.

Nestor, me, and cuzzin Massi

---------------------------------------

Yesterday I was dragged on a misadventure with my brother and sister, so that she can find shoes for her trip. We had no luck and ended up at a tea house. There was a deaf couple that came in to raise money for something. I don't remember exactly what it was, but I only had my useless plastic credit cards on me. They were less fortunate and the woman was four months pregnant. They had no luck from any of the clientele. Whether they were being honest or it was a scam and they weren't deaf, I went with my gut instincts and believed them, and bought them a couple of smoothies.

It is upsetting that we have gotten to the point where we have to be so cynical about everything. Who is honest? Who are the rotten liars? Some people choose not to follow the truth and that tarnishes the credibility of the rest of society. Why?

I firmly believe that there is always something that you can do to make someone else's life a little bit easier, and it doesn't have to be anything big and drastic. Little things are just as important. Open the door for someone, give up your seat, help carry something, share a laugh... It is amazing what these things do. I decided to spend eight bucks on a couple of smoothies for some hungry strangers. A mere eight dollars and there were smiles all around, scribbled notes of gratitude on scraps of paper, and shared excitement for their baby. Let me tell you that it was worth every cent.

Go out there and make a difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment